The RV Minnesota Golden Gophers (10-9, 6-5 Big Ten) are set to travel to Madison, Wis., to face off against the No. 2 Wisconsin Badgers (19-1, 10-1 Big Ten) in Border Battle No. 91 at the UW Fieldhouse. This historic NCAA Volleyball match will be televised on the FOX national network, marking the first time ever for a match of this kind. The game is scheduled to begin at 3:50 p.m., following the Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers game.
Here is the game information for the Minnesota vs. Wisconsin matchup:
– Date: Sunday, Oct. 29
– Time: 3:50 p.m. CT
– Location: UW Fieldhouse, Madison, Wis.
– TV/Stream: BTN – Michelle McMahon (Play-By-Play) and Emily Ehman (Analyst)
– Live Stats
Here are some important notes to know about the teams and players:
– Keegan Cook, the head coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers, recently won his 200th career game as a head coach.
– Minnesota had been ranked in 130 consecutive AVCA polls before the Oct. 16 poll.
– Minnesota has won 53 out of the 90 matchups against Wisconsin.
– Phoebe Awoleye ranks No. 45 in the nation and No. 5 in the Big Ten in blocks per set.
– Kylie Murr is the only Big Ten player to post double-digit digs in every match this season.
– Mckenna Wucherer leads the team and ranks 15th in the Big Ten with 3.28 kills per set.
– Melani Shaffmaster leads the Big Ten with 11 double doubles this season.
– Minnesota is 2-7 against ranked opponents this season.
– Melani Shaffmaster became the fourth Gopher all-time to reach 3,500 career assists and 1,000 digs.
The matchup between Minnesota and Wisconsin has the potential to break the record for the most-watched regular season volleyball match. The previous record was set by Nebraska and Wisconsin with 612,000 viewers. With this Sunday’s match being aired nationally on FOX, it is expected that this record will easily be surpassed.
In their last game, Minnesota fell to No. 16 Purdue in three sets. Taylor Landfair had 16 kills, and Lydia Grote had 13 kills, but Minnesota struggled on defense with just one block.
Despite going 2-0 last week, the Minnesota Golden Gophers are currently unranked in the AVCA poll. They have the most votes among unranked teams with 70. They will have the opportunity to re-enter the rankings with their matchup against No. 2 Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Badgers, led by head coach Kelly Sheffield, have won four straight Big Ten titles and have been to three Final Fours in the last four seasons. They are currently 6-1 against ranked teams this season.
Minnesota has a historical record of 53-37 against Wisconsin. The Gophers broke a six-game losing streak in the series last year with a 3-0 sweep. However, they have lost their last four games at Wisconsin.
Melani Shaffmaster and Taylor Landfair are both approaching career milestones. Shaffmaster ranks 16th among active Division I players with 3,626 career assists, while Landfair needs just 17 more kills to reach 1,000 for her career at Minnesota.
Melani Shaffmaster has been a standout player for Minnesota, leading all Big Ten setters in kills per set, digs per set, and double doubles. Mckenna Wucherer, a highly decorated player, has had a strong start to the season with impressive performances in the Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge.