ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The Minnesota Golden Gophers (6-8, 2-4 Big Ten), ranked 24th, will travel to face the Michigan Wolverines (3-12, 1-5 Big Ten) on Wednesday night. The game will be televised by BTN, and it will be the second matchup between the two teams this season. The game will begin at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT.
Here is the game information:
– Teams: No. 24 Minnesota at Michigan
– Date: Wednesday, Oct. 11
– Time: 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT
– Location: Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, Mich.
– TV/Stream: BTN – Sloane Martin (Play-By-Play) and Rainelle Jones (Analyst)
– Live Stats
Here are some notable facts about the Minnesota Golden Gophers:
– Keegan Cook, the head coach of the Golden Gophers, won his 200th career game as a head coach on Aug. 26 against Baylor. His latest win came on Sept. 29 in a sweep over Michigan.
– The 2022 season marked the 27th year that the Golden Gophers advanced to the NCAA tournament. They have been to eight-straight NCAA tournaments and 23 of the last 24.
– Phoebe Awoleye, the middle blocker, ranks No. 21 in the nation and No. 4 in the Big Ten in blocks per set with 1.37.
– Mckenna Wucherer, the sophomore outside hitter, leads the team and ranks 15th in the Big Ten with 3.38 kills per set.
– Minnesota has won 11 of the last 12 games against Michigan. Their only loss was in 2021.
– Melani Shaffmaster, the setter, ranks 8th all-time in Gophers history with 3,456 career assists. She ranks 15th among active DI players.
– The Golden Gophers are currently playing six straight unranked opponents before facing No. 19 Purdue on Oct. 26.
– In Big Ten games, Minnesota ranks in the top five in the league in hitting percentage, kills, opponent hitting percentage, and opponent kills.
– Kylie Murr, the fifth-year libero, ranks third in the Big Ten in digs per set with 4.20. She has recorded 10+ digs in all 14 matches this season.
– Melani Shaffmaster ranks third in the Big Ten with 9.39 assists per set against Big Ten teams.
– Minnesota ranks third in the Big Ten in conference games in service aces per set with 1.46. They have a total of 35 aces in six conference games.
– The Golden Gophers have a 2-6 record against ranked opponents this season, with wins over No. 15 Baylor and No. 6 Oregon.
– Melani Shaffmaster has posted 50+ assists twice in 2023.
– Taylor Landfair, the junior outside hitter, was the 2022 Big Ten Player of the Year and an AVCA First Team All-American last season.
– In their last two games, the Golden Gophers lost to Maryland in five sets and to Rutgers in four sets.
The Minnesota Golden Gophers are currently ranked 24th in the AVCA poll. They have a 62-16 all-time record against Michigan and a 62-20 all-time record against Northwestern.