MINNEAPOLIS – The Minnesota rowing team will participate in the 43rd Annual Head of the Mississippi Regatta on Saturday, marking their first competition of the 2023-24 season. The event will be hosted by the Minneapolis Rowing Club. The Golden Gophers will kick off the day’s races at 9:30 a.m. in the collegiate 4+ category, and a total of 11 boats will represent the team throughout the competition.
Here is the projected race schedule:
– 9:30 a.m. – Collegiate 4+
– 9:45 a.m. – Collegiate Freshman 8+
– 10:30 a.m. – Open 2-
– 12:15 p.m. – Collegiate 8+
The team’s projected lineup for the races is as follows:
– 1V4 – Courtney Cochico (cox), Cecilie Christensen, Nena Papaterpou, Madeline Lange, Meg Messer
– 2V4 – Misha Shah (cox), Tallulah Sweet, Sydney Hicks, Grace Loescher, Manon Field
– 3V4 – Tammy Nguyen (cox), Eleni Charalampidou-Layton, Ella Saunders, Annie Moen, Nuala Macfarlane
– F8+ – Radhika Ajmera (cox), Nathalie Müller, Josefine Freltoft, Alexa Mueller, Sophia Pirigyi, Emily Franke, Martyna Rzeznik, Maggie Berrett, Marina Filas
– 1N8 – Mackenzie Jacobson (cox), Emilie Rish, Madeline Cleverly, Kimberly Klassen, Ellison Northrop-Kiel, Isabel Carey, Kariana Bork, Christina Veski, Allison Sweney
– 2N8 – Claire Willey (cox), Alexandra Balcome, Jaden Deutscher, Paige Keller, Lila Vanner, Aleksia Tollefson, Abby Schroeder, Jackie Wethington, Zara Abston
– 2- – Anna Stephenson, Mia Forouhari
– 2- – Chloe Kremnitzer, Cady Isom
– 1V8 – Isabella Bejaran (cox), Cecilie Christensen, Nena Papaterpou, Madeline Lange, Meg Messer, Josefine Freltoft, Sydney Hicks, Annie Moen, Manon Field
– 2V8 – Wren Wodek (cox), Eleni Charalampidou-Layton, Ella Saunders, Tallulah Sweet, Alexa Mueller, Grace Loescher, Anna Stephenson, Mia Forouhari, Nuala Macfarlane
– 3V8 – Ashley Ohlemacher (cox), Kat Johanns, Cady Isom, Chloe Kremnitzer, Sophia Pirigyi, Peyton Miller, Anna Farley, Martyna Rzeznik, Arianna Hawkins
Coach Strodel expressed the significance of the Head of the Mississippi event, stating, “It’s a great way to start the fall racing season on a beautiful course, with the support of our Gopher Rowing family, friends, and fans. Our athletes have been working hard in practice and are excited to compete in their uniforms.”
In other news, the Gophers have announced their captains for the 2023-24 campaign. Isabella Bejaran, who previously served as a team captain, will continue in her role for a second year. Joining her in leadership positions are Madeline Lange and Tallulah Sweet.
Following the Mississippi River regatta, the Gophers will face off against the Wisconsin Badgers in two early-season scrimmages. The first will be held at Medicine Lake on October 14, with the second taking place at Lake Mendota on November 4.